A Mission Station can be found in the town of Saron at the foot of the Saronsberg (mountain) on the outskirts of the Drakenstein municipal area.

The Mission Station was established by the Rhenish Missionary Society in 1848 by Johannes Heinrich Kulpmann and was later taken over by the Dutch Reformed Church in 1945.

The name, which is Afrikaans for Sharon, is of biblical origin meaning ‘flats’ or ‘plain’. On 30 November 2013, Heritage Western Cape declared the historic core of the Saron Mission Station as a provincial heritage site.

Saron has its name written on the side of the Saronsberg which can be seen from an aerial view.

Show all timings
  • Sun09:00 - 17:00
  • Mon09:00 - 17:00
  • Tue09:00 - 17:00
  • Wed09:00 - 17:00
  • Thu09:00 - 17:00
image

Translate »